As per a directive of the Supreme Court, the Union of India (MHRD) was directed to constitute a three members Committee comprising of eminent persons who have held high positions in the field of education, investigation, administration or law at national level to examine the issues indicated in the orders and also to suggest a road map for strengthening and setting up of oversight and regulatory mechanism in the relevant field of higher education and allied issues. Accordingly, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) constituted a three members Committee on the above subject. The report of the Committee (Justice Reddy Committee), as well as its recommendations, has been accepted by the Government fully.
In a major development in the University Grants Commission, the stakeholders were informed about the actions/decisions/information based on the recommendations of the Justice Reddy Committee on Open and Distance Learning (ODL) Courses.
1. The list of approved courses offered under ODL mode, institution – wise every year is available on UGC website at www.ugc.ac.in/deb.
2. No course, other than the one that finds the place in the list referred to above, would be recognized and a candidate who studies unrecognized courses cannot claim any benefit.
3. Under no circumstances, retrospective or ex-post facto recognition to any course through ODL mode shall be granted by UGC.
4. Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) are required to comply with all the provisions of the UGC (ODL) Regulations, 2017 and its amendments. If any deviation by the HEI is noticed, the same would entail not only withdrawal of permission/ recognition for such ODL courses but also for other courses offered by the institutions, on regular and conventional mode.
5. The UGC (ODL) Regulations, 2017 are applicable to all HEIs as given at Clause (3) of sub-regulation (1) of Part – I of UGC (ODL) Regulations, 2017. It is further clarified that the private universities created under the State enactments shall be under obligation to strictly follow the requirements, stipulated by the UGC, issued from time to time including those under the UGC (ODL) Regulations, 2017.