Who can register as a Non-degree student?
A student who is registered for a degree program in a recognized Institute (other than IIT Kanpur) or a University in India or abroad, and who is officially sponsored/recommended by that Institute or University to complete a part of his/her academic program at IIT Kanpur can register here as a Non-degree student.
What can a Non-degree student study/do at IIT Kanpur?
A non-degree student may carry out research work, do project work, register for course(s) with credits or otherwise or register for thesis credits.
A non-degree student can register up to a maximum of 65 credits of courses or 36 credits of thesis in a regular semester or up to a maximum of 25 credits of courses or 18 credits of thesis during a summer term.
How to apply to register as a Non-degree student at IIT Kanpur?
a) A student, can apply to register as a non-degree student by filling and submitting the prescribed application form along with all relevant documents as detailed at the ‘enclosure check list’ of the application form.
b) If a student is willing to do research work, project work or thesis work, then she/he will need to select a faculty supervisor at IITK and get his/her recommendation. The recommendation can be taken either over email or on paper and this recommendation should be attached along with the application form.
c) Enclosures with application form: Students applying through NDSP, need to attach following documents as enclosures along with their application form:
- Recommendation from Home University
- Proof of registration at Home University
- Letter of reference from Home University
- Academic Record (Transcripts) till last semester
- Statement of purpose
- Study plan
- Acceptance letter/Recommendation of Supervisor from IITK
- Copy of Passport (for foreign national)
d) Filled in application form forwarded by concerned authority at Home University along with all supporting documents (as stated in 3c above) should be submitted in O/o Dean, Academic Affairs, IIT Kanpur. Advance copy of application form along with supporting documents can be sent over email for processing.
Click here to download the official Notification
Click here to download the Fee Structure
- IIT Kanpur accept application forms throughout the year.
- However, Ist semester commences in the last week of July,
- IInd semester commences in the first week of January, and
- Summer Term commences 2nd week of May, every year.