NEW DELHI: The University Grants Commission (UGC) has developed and issued draft ‘Guidelines for engaging professor of practice in universities and colleges’ to enable higher education institutions to hire industry experts and professionals as guest professors. The commission has invited feedback and suggestions on the guidelines from the stakeholders by September 6. The stakeholders can send their suggestions on the email ID : PoPUGC2022@gmail.com. “National Education Policy 2020 recommends hiring of distinguished experts from different fields, local artists, craftsperson, industry experts etc. as guest faculty in higher education institutions. In order to enable HEIs to engage industry experts and professionals so that they can share the wealth of knowledge they had gained over their long career with students, UGC has developed ‘Guidelines for engaging professor of practice in universities and colleges,” said an official notification from UGC.
According to UGC’s draft guidelines, professors of practice will be engaged for one year initially and the maximum duration of service should not exceed 3 years. The professors will be engaged under 3 categories: funded by industries, funded by HEIs from their own resources, and on an honorary basis. Those in teaching professions will not be eligible for this post. Professors of practice will develop and design courses; introduce new courses and deliver lectures; encourage students in innovation and entrepreneurship; conduct workshops, seminars, training programmes, special lectures in partnership with regular faculty members; carry out joint research projects.
According to UGC’s draft guidelines, eligibility of professors of practice is:
- Distinguished experts who have made remarkable contributions in their professions from various fields such as engineering, science, technology, entrepreneurship, commerce, social sciences, media, literature, fine arts, civil services, armed forces, legal profession and public administration among others. Those who have proven expertise in their specific profession or role with at least 15 years of service or experience, preferably at a senior level.
- Formal education qualification is not mandatory. These experts will also be exempted from the requirement of publications and other eligibility criteria for the recruitment of faculty members at the professor level. However, they should possess the skills to carry out the specified duties and responsibilities.
- The Vice-Chancellors or Directors may invite nominations from eminent experts for Professor of Practice positions.
- The experts willing to serve may also be nominated or they can send their nomination to the Vice-Chancellor/Director with a detailed biodata and a brief write-up about their potential contribution to the HEI.
- Such nominations will be considered by a selection committee consisting of two senior Professors from the HEI and one eminent external member. Based on the recommendations of this committee, the Academic Council and the Executive Council or statutory bodies of the HEI will decide on the engagement.
Courtesy : News Careers360