To be eligible, an applicant must
- Be an Indian citizen
- Hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or a national laboratory or in any other recognized R & D institution in India OR
- Hold a PhD degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering OR M.D./M.S./M.D.S./M.V.Sc degree at the time of applying for the grant*
- Be a faculty recruited through UGC-Faculty Recharge Program OR
- Be an investigator who will be superannuating during the duration of the project or already superannuated with at least 5 years of service remaining
*Note – To submit a proposal under the Quantitative Social Sciences area, The PI and Co-Investigator(s) should hold a PhD degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering, M.D./M.S./M.D.S./M.V.Sc. degree or PhD degree in any Social Sciences area.
- The selected scholars will receive a core research grant and the following benefits –
Research support to an individual researcher or a group of researchers working in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in other recognized R & D institutions in India.
Funding for research extends to a period of 3 years.
- Overheads are also provided to the implementing institution as per prevailing norms of SERB.
- Research grant to cover equipment, manpower, consumables, travel and contingency
- A certificate from the principal investigator
- An endorsement letter from the Head of Institution
- Approval Letter
- Plagiarism undertaking
How can you apply?
Follow the below steps to apply for the grant:
Step 1: Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ and read all details.
Step 2: Navigate to the ‘How to apply online’ section, click on the given link and register in the ‘SERB Online Portal’.
Step 3: Fill in the required details in the mandatory fields in Profile Detail under User Profile, upload the necessary documents and submit the online application.
Note – The proposal has to be uploaded in a single PDF file not more than 10 MB as other technical documents (OTD).
Application Deadline – 18th April 2022
The selection will be based on the recommendations of the Program Advisory Committee (PAC) constituted by SERB.
- Certificate from the Investigator
- Biodata Pro forma
- Endorsement from
Terms and Conditions
- Foreign nationals (including OCI and NRI) are also eligible to apply provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria notified by SERB.
- Private Academic institutions with valid UGC/AICTE/PCI approval, Private R&D Institutions with valid DSIR-SIRO recognition and Voluntary and Non-Governmental Organizations registered under the NITI-AAYOG Darpan portal are eligible to host a project.
- INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows are also eligible to apply provided they have at least three and half years of tenure remaining at the time of submission of application.
National Laboratories and Research Institutions should share 50% of the non-recurring cost of the project. For projects with a total cost of more than INR 80 lakh, 50% of the non-recurring and consumables cost should be shared by the Lab/Institution. If the project is approved for SERB support, a certificate from the National Laboratory/Research Institution will be required for the same.
- The grant is to help researchers undertake research and development in frontier areas of Science and Engineering.
- The funding is provided for a duration of 3 years.
- An applicant can apply for only one proposal during a call.
- At any given time, only one project is allowed.
- If a project is approved for SERB support, the quotations of the approved equipment need to be uploaded within one month of the date of the approval letter.
- The term “Regular” in the context of CRG refers to the applicants who are appointed against the sanctioned post or in a tenure post but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure.