To be eligible, the applicant must –
- Have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India
- Be registered for Ph.D. at an Indian institution on or before November 1, 2021 (For U.S. applicants)
Note – These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered.
The selected scholars will receive the following benefits –
- J-1 visa support
- Monthly stipend
- Accident and sickness program for exchanges as per the U.S. Government guidelines
- Round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any
- Opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the US
Note – No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/Resume
- Academic degree and marksheets
- Language test scores
- Letter of invitation
- FNDR Applicant Annexure
- FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form
- Ph.D. registration certificate
- Original published/presented paper or extracts from the Master’s/M.Phil. thesis (not exceeding 20 pages)
Note – For detailed information, kindly go through the ‘Application Detailed Instructions’.
How can you apply?
Follow the steps below to apply for the scholarship:
Step 1: Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ button and read all details carefully.
Step 2: Provide personal details and click “Continue”.
Step 3: Enter the pin received through email to activate the account and create a password to complete the process.
Step 4: After successfully creating the account, log in using valid credentials.
Step 5: Fill in the required information step-by-step and upload the required documents s in PDF format as required.
Step 8: Fill in the grant and additional information and submit the form.
The name must be entered exactly the way it appears (or will appear) on the applicant’s passport.
For detailed information, kindly go through the ‘Application Detailed Instructions.
Application Deadline – 15th July 2022, 23:59:59 HRs (IST)
National interviews of Shortlisted Candidates – Early October 2022
USIEF Notifies Finalists – March/April 2023
Beginning of Program – August/September 2023
The selection process involves initial screening of the applications received followed by national interviews conducted in Delhi. After the interview, the final selection is made by the United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF).
Terms and Conditions
- The applicant will be affiliated with one US host institution for the grant.
- The applicants can apply for only one Fulbright-Nehru fellowship category during a competition cycle.
- Plagiarism in the application will lead to disqualification.
- Fulbright-Nehru applications are to be submitted online.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Extensions and transfer of visa sponsorship will not be permitted.
- This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis.
- Therefore, the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should at least be three months after the
- Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. The applicant can download the Applicant Annexure from the USIEF website.
- If the applicants are employed, they must follow the instructions carefully regarding the employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. The applicants can download the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form from the USIEF website.