Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education is situated on Kamarajar Salai, Triplicane, Chennai – 600 005, just 3kms from the Fort St. George, the head quarters of Government of Tamilnadu. In the year 1922, this Institute of Teacher Training was named ‘Lady Willingdon Training School’ after ‘Lady Willingdon’ wife of Lord Willingdon, then Governor of Madras Presidency.
The pioneer Principal Miss. J.M. Gerrard, had a vision of stately edifice, facing the sea, shaped like ‘W’. Her vision materialized when a Scottish architect, under her guidance designed the present building into which the college moved in 1940.
The majestic building in the premises of 16 acres overlook the world famous sprawling Marina Beach beside the Bay of Bengal, which is one of the longest and beautiful beaches of the world indeed.
To its north, just a few meters away, lie the Guest House of the University of Madras, the beautiful palatial building of the Presidency College, the P.W.D. building and the famous Madras University; to its south, the Queen Mary’s College, the office of the Director General of Police, the All India Radio Station and the historical Santhome Cathedral Church are situated.