About the Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full time, postgraduate award which enables talented young people from around the world to study at University of Oxford.
Applying for the Scholarship is a challenge, but it is an experience which has helped generations of young people to succeed. We encourage applications from talented students everywhere.
Rhodes Scholars come to the UK for two or more years and can apply to study most full-time postgraduate courses offered by Oxford University.
Eligibility criteria for the Scholarship
- Literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- Energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings
- The detailed eligibility criteria varies slightly depending on which constituency you are applying for. You can use our eligibility checker tool to find out if you meet the criteria and are eligible to apply for the Scholarship.
The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University course fees, as well as providing an annual stipend. For the 2021/22 academic year, the stipend is £17,310 per annum (£1,442.50 per month) from which Scholars pay all living expenses, including accommodation. Please note – this is not sufficient to cover partners or dependents.
The Rhodes Scholarship supports outstanding young people to pursue postgraduate study at the University of Oxford, and actively fosters lifelong learning and fellowship. The Rhodes Scholarship application consists of multiple stages. Click here for viewing helpful video series to guide applicants through the process.