To be eligible, an applicant must
- Be born on or after 2nd April 1998
- Have completed a minimum of 12 years of schooling
- Have secured a minimum of 65% marks at 12th (or 11th) grade
- Be willing to pursue a bachelor’s degree from a University in Japan in the fields of Social Sciences,
- Humanities and Natural Science
The selected scholars will receive the following benefits
- An allowance of JPY 117,000 per month
- Supplemental regional allowance of up to JPY 3000
- Travelling expenses
- Transportation to and fro Japan
- Health Certificate signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- Academic transcript(s) for all school years of the last school/university attended
- Certificate(s) of graduation of school/university attended.
- Recommendation letter from either a class teacher or principal of the last school attended
- Certificate of university enrollment qualification examination
- Medical certificate
- Certificate of enrollment
- Certificate of language proficiency
All the documents must be submitted in the prescribed format. For detailed information, kindly go through ‘Scholarship Guidelines’.
How can you apply?
Follow the steps below to apply for the scholarship:
Step 1: Click on the “Apply Now” below.
Step 2: Coordinate with the consulates to start an application procedure.
Step 3: Download the application form.
Step 4: Attach the necessary documents.
Step 5: Submit the application form with the documents to the respective Japanese consulates.
For students residing in the remaining states and union territories, the application must be sent to – The Embassy of Japan, 50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110021.
For students residing in Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana applications must be sent to – the Consulate General of Japan in Chennai, No 12/1 Cenetoph Road, 1st Street, Teynampet, Chennai 600018
Application Deadline: 27 May 2022
Application Screening: June 2022
Notification of Shortlisted Candidates for Written Test/Interview (on this page): in June 2022
Written Examination: 9 July 2022
Interview: To be announced
Notification of the Results of the First Screening: Early August 2022
The candidates will be selected based on the following criteria –
- The First Screening of the candidates will be done by the Japanese diplomatic missions based on the evaluation of submitted application documents, written academic examinations and interviews.
- Applicants who succeed to qualify for the First Screening will be recommended to MEXT.
- The second screening of the applicants who are recommended and MEXT will then decide the scholarship holders from each course.