To be eligible, an applicant must
- Be within 40 to 50 years of age as of December 31 of the year of application submission
- Have completed individual-centric SERB projects in the previous three financial years with an “Excellent” grade (Note – Only the PI of the projects are eligible.)
- Hold a regular* academic/research position in a recognised academic institution or national laboratory or any other recognised R&D institutions
*Note – The term “Regular” refers to –
- The candidates who are appointed by the institutions against the ‘sanctioned’ post. Such positions are regularized/confirmed after the probation period is over.
- The candidates who are appointed in a tenure post are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure.
The selected nominees will receive the following awards –
- A fellowship of INR 15,000 per month
- Research grant of INR 10 lakh per annum
- INR 1 lakh per annum as overhead charges for a period of three years
Up to 30 awards per year and not more than 90 at any time will be given.
The awards will be granted once a year.
- Project completion report (PCR)
- List of publications resulting from the completed project (if any)
- Reprints of publications (if applicable)
- Details of patents from the completed project (if any)
- Patent documents (if applicable)
- Documents related to technology transfer (if any)
- List of complete publications, patents and any other significant contribution
- Certificate from PI
- Endorsement certificate
- Technical Document
Note – The above-mentioned documents must be submitted in PDF format.
How can you apply?
The eligible candidates can apply for the award by following the below-mentioned steps –
Step 1: Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ and read all details.
Step 2: Navigate to ‘Instruction on Online Submission’, click on ‘click here to register’ to register. (Note – If the applicant is already registered, kindly log in using valid credentials.)
Step 3: After successful registration, fill in the required details in the mandatory fields in Profile Detail under User Profile, upload the necessary documents and submit the online application.
- After filling the details, the PI should send STAR nomination form to Nominator.
- The nominator will receive intimation via email with a link to the SERB online portal, to view the filled-in STAR Nomination form.
- The nominator has to submit the nomination to SERB.
- Once submitted, PI and Nominator will receive an intimation regarding the successful submission.
Application Start Date – 15th June 2022
Application Deadline – 28th July 2022
- The SERB will conduct preliminary scrutiny and verification of eligibility criteria to shortlist the nominees. Only eligible nominations will be considered for the award selection process.
- The nominees will be selected by a competent committee based on the performance of completed projects and other research work that carries top weightage.
Terms and Conditions
- Only publications in which the SERB grant is acknowledged will be taken into account as project output.
- The PI cannot apply directly for the award. The Head of the Institution will nominate the nominee for the award.
- The projects which have been completed in the previous three financial years will be considered.
- Principal Investigators who have an ongoing fellowship/honorarium such as JC Bose Fellowship, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, Swarnajayanti Fellowship, etc. are not eligible for this fellowship.
- The candidates who are enrolled for SERB STAR but are unsuccessful may be re-nominated for consideration next year subject to fulfilment of other eligibility criteria.
- The Project Completion Report (PCR) of the completed project is evaluated by the concerned Programme Advisory Committee (PAC), and the performance is graded based on the quality of research work done in the project, its impact, publications, patents, and research personnel generated, etc.