To be eligible, an applicant must –
- be an Indian citizen
- hold Ph.D. degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering or M.D/ M.S./ M.D.S./ M.V.Sc degree at the time of applying for grant
- hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in any other recognized R&D institution in India with at least 5 years of service remaining (Note – The term ‘Regular’ refers to the applicants who are appointed against the sanctioned post or in a tenure post but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure)
- Faculties recruited through UGC-Faculty Recharge Program are eligible to apply.
- Foreign nationals (including OCI and NRI) are also eligible to apply provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria notified by SERB (SERB Funding Guidelines for foreign nationals dated 27th Oct 2016.
The selected candidates will receive the benefits following ways –
- The scheme provides research support to an individual researcher or a group of researchers working in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in other recognized R & D institutions in India.
- Funding will be provided normally for a period of three years, which could be extended to 2 years (5 years total) subject to performance evaluation.
- The research grant is provided for equipment, research personnel, consumables, travel and contingency.
- “Overheads” is also be provided to the implementing institution as per prevailing norms of SERB.
- National Laboratories and Research Institutions must share 50% of the non-recurring cost of the project. For projects with a total cost of more than INR 80 lakh, 50% of the non-recurring and consumables cost should be shared by the lab/ institution. If the project is approved for SERB support, a certificate from the National Laboratory/ Research Institution will be required for the same.
The following documents are required to be attached along with the application:
- Plagiarism undertaking
- Certificate from Principal Investigator
- Endorsement Letter from the Head of Institution
- Details of the proposal such as
- Project Title (max 500 characters)
- Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6)
- Objectives of the project (max 1500 characters),
- Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters)
- Budget (Manpower, Consumables, Travel, Equipment, Contingency, Overheads)
Note – If the project is approved for SERB support, the Quotations of the approved equipment need to be uploaded within one month of the date of the Approval Letter.
How can you apply?
Eligible applicants can apply for the grant by following the below-mentioned steps –
Step 1: Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ button.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Register‘ button and fill in the required details to ‘Register’. (Note – If already registered, log in using Gmail/Mobile number/Email Id.)
Step 3: Navigate to ‘How to apply online‘ and click on ‘click here to register‘.
Step 4: Fill in the required details to Register. (Note – If the applicant is already registered, kindly login using valid credentials)
Step 5: After successful registration, fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Details Section under ‘User Profile‘ which includes Bio-data (as per defined template), Photo, Institute Address, etc. and submit.
Note – The proposal has to be uploaded in a single PDF file not more than 10 MB as other technical documents (OTD).
All-in-one system for education, skills and careers